G.M Satwinder Singh Vohra’s Promotion to Kukkiwon 9th DAN
President OH Hyun Deuk presented 9th DAN certification to Satwinder Singh Vohra(59 year old) on December 14th 2016 at the Kukkiwon World Taekwondo Headquarters. On March 10th 2016, in Seoul, Korea, Satwinder Singh Vohra, the first British Citizen of Indian Origin and a Full-time Martial Arts Instructor from Nottingham, England successfully tested for promotion to 9th Degree (9th DAN) Black Belt with the certification registered on December 3rd, 2016 This is a high honor as he is now regarded to be one of the highest ranked non-Korean exponents of Taekwondo in the World.
GrandMaster Vohra has dedicated his whole life to taekwondo which has been documented on paper as accreditations, certifications, numerous appreciation and appointment letters, networks of students and collaborations worldwide, to name a few. So, to be recei
ving the coveted 9th DAN he highly regards as a tremendous honour to add to his achievements. GrandMaster Vohra’s training spans more than 40 years and has graded thousands of students from Beginner to Black Belt over the years, ranging from 7 years to 75 years old and to still be grading students to this day highlights his longevity in the arts and to know that all ages from every demographic enjoy taekwondo, gives hope for the future of the sport.
It has been his goal and mantra to share his love of Taekwondo and provide students with the knowledge from all his years of training to excel and successfully progress from ‘Beginner to Black Belt and Beyond…. .’ While it has been a long and satisfying journey to get to this stage in life, a journey fraught with trials and tribulations, this has not derailed his desire and dedication for success in this art.
GrandMaster Vohra is a man on a mission and sees himself as an Ambassador of Taekwondo on behalf of the Kukkiwon. He views his role to promote Taekwondo through a number of different avenues by working locally, nationally and internationally to provide seminars and instruction to students and instructors alike; and by giving back through teaching in underprivileged countries at no cost to create a new generation of future taekwondo exponents.
GrandMaster Vohra believes one must not forget though, that the true Taekwondo martial artist is the one who always lives his life within the boundaries of Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Humility, Self-control, and Indomitable Spirit. These are the key factors to world harmony and how he lives his life. It is his hope that the future development and globalisation of Taekwondo is through promotion of Hanmadang and other orientated events. He believes the Kukkiwon to be at the forefront of leading this venture through their educational and promotional approaches.
Satwinder Singh Vohra
- 9th DAN Taekwondo (TKD) Kukkiwon Certificate # 03002056 (awarded December 14th 2016). Tested for, and awarded in Seoul, South Korea at the Kukkiwon Headquarters.
- Kukkiwon 1st Class Taekwondo Judge – July 2015 (Qualifying course for World TKD Academy.
- Kukkiwon 1st Class Instructor [Certificate # 140002 (issued 28 July 2007), awarded September 8th, 2007)].
- WTF Kyorugi Referee 1st Class (2015).
- Hanmadang Referee 2nd Class (2013).
- WTF Poomsae Referee 3rd Class (2007).
- Kukkiwon Advisory Committee Honorary Committee Member (2016).
- Regular member of the Seoul World Taekwondo Leaders Forum 2012.
- Executive member of the World MacAlliance, 2010 – Present.
- Technical Consultant for Taekwondo and Korean martial arts magazine.
- Regular member of the 1st Seoul World Taekwondo Leaders Forum 2009.
- Member of the Kukkiwon International Advisory Committee from Jan 2008 to Dec 2009.
- International Kyorugi / Poomsae World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) Referee.
- Qualified Kukkiwon International Master Instructor and Examiner.
- Selected by Taekwondo Federation of India to act as Indian Team Manager for the Beijing Olympic Team Qualifier in Manchester, England, 2007.
- Technical Consultant to the Isle of Man TKD Federation since 2005.
- Senior Consultant for Isle of Man Taekwondo (2006-Present).
- Professional TKD martial arts instructor since 1982.
- Kukkiwon 1st Class Taekwondo Judge – July 2015 (Qualifying course for World TKD Academy
- Kukkiwon 1st Class Instructor [Certificate # 140002 (issued 28 July 2007)]
- Kukkiwon 2nd Class Instructor (issued 30th July 2005)
- Kukkiwon 3rd Class Instructor (issued 25th July 1998)
- Recognition for outstanding accomplishments as part of the International Referees Corps at the 2010 US Open TKD Championships in Las Vegas, USA.
- Recognition for participation in the 1st Seoul World Taekwondo Leaders Forum 2009
- Diploma awarded by President of Kukkiwon for unlimited efforts of self-sacrifice to bring about development and popularization of Taekwondo 2008.
- Citation in recognition of dedicated service and outstanding contribution to the development of TKD awarded by Kukkiwon President in 2008.
- Recognition for exemplary and outstanding conduct during the 14th Foreign Instructor training course in 2007.
INTERNATIONAL REFEREE CREDENTIALS:
- 2016 Russian Open
- 2016 Belgian Open.
- 2016 USA Open in Reno, Nevada.
- 2016 French Open in Lille, France.
- 2015 AFTU Open – Egypt.
- 2015 4th European Para Taekwondo Championships in Chisinau, Moldova.
- 2015 Luxor Open
- 2015 Doha, Qatar – 1st Qatar International Open Championship.
- 2015 CISM (International Military Sports Council) 6th World games in Korea.
- 2015 5th Russian Open
2014 – Spanish Open in Alicante.
2014 – Dutch Open in Eindhoven.
2014 – Belgium Open.
2014 – Bahrain Open.
2014 – Kos, Greece TKD Open.
2014 – Russian Open, Moscow.
2013 – US Open in Las Vegas
2013 – The 1st European Taekwondo Club Championships in Athens, Greece.
2012 – Spanish Open. Class “A” Ranking in Alicante.
- 2012- London Olympic Games and International Referees Selection and Training Camp held in Baku, Azerbaijan (2011).
- 2011- Spanish Open in Alicante, Spain.
- 2011 German Open in Hamburg, Germany.
- 2011 Scottish Open at Ravenscraig Regional Sports Centre.
- Referee at the 2011 US Open TKD Championship in Austin, Texas, USA.
- Referee at the 2010 US Open TKD Championship in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
- Referee at the 8th Spanish Open hosted by the Spanish Taekwondo Federation in Alicante, Spain (2010)
- Referee at the 11th World University TKD Championship 2010 – Vigo, Spain.
- Referee at the 7th Spanish Open Class A, hosted by the Spanish Taekwondo Federation in Alicante, Spain (2009).
- 3rd WTF World Taekwondo Poomsae Championships IR (Ankara, Turkey 2008) – only 31 referees selected worldwide.
- 7th World Taekwondo Federation International Poomsae Referee # 007-0001 Class 3, Country: Isle of Man (2008).
- 51st World Taekwondo Federation International Referee # 051-0001 Class 3, Country: Isle of Man (2007).
- Referee certification Class 2 issued on 3rd May 1979 by British Tae Kwon Do Association.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
Instructed and lectured at the Kukkiwon International Instructor Course in Morocco (2016)
Instructed and lectured at the Kukkiwon International Instructor Course (Oslo, Norway 2016)
Instructed and lectured at the Kukkiwon International Instructor Course (Nigeria, 2016)
Instructed and lectured at the Kukkiwon International Instructor Course (Tunisia, 2016)
Administered the Oath at the 2015 World Taekwondo Hanmadang.
Attended the 2014 World Taekwondo Hanmadang
Administered the 2013 World Taekwondo Hanmadang at the Daejeon Chungmu Sports Arena.
Attended 2011 World Taekwondo Hanmadang in the City of Prestige Namyangj, Korea.
Writers and Contributors award from the Martial Arts Hall of Fame (2011).
4th World Martial Arts Federation Championships Misburg, Hannover, Germany, November 2006. Participant and Organiser.
3rd World Martial Arts Federation Championships Hannover Germany, November 2003. Participant and Organiser.
2nd World Martial Arts Federation Championships Hannover Germany, November 2000. World Champion. Gold in Fighting. Silver in destruction and forms.
1st World Martial Arts Federation Championships, Seoul Korea (April 1998). World Champion. Gold in forms and destruction. Silver in Fighting.
- International Master Instructor (issued by WTF) awarded 25th July 1984Registered with the Martial Arts Commission as 2nd Dan TKD Instructor of the British TKD Association in 1979.
- Selected to represent Great Britain at the 4th World TKD championships at Stutgaart, Germany in 1979.
CONTINUED MARTIAL ARTS (TKD) EDUCATION
Completed Hanmadang referee course held in Nigeria (2016).
- Completed the 69th International Kyorugi Referee Refresher course held in Bangalore, India (2009).
- Completed the 68th International Kyorugi Referee Refresher course held in Manchester, Great Britain (2009).
- Completed the 65th International Referee Refresher course held in Dubai, UAE (2009).
- Completed the 64th International Referee Refresher course held in Lille, France (2009).
- Completed the 63rd International Kyorugi Referee Refresher course held in Suzhou, China (2009).
- Completed the 62nd International Referee Refresher course held in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA (2009)
- Completed the 5th Poomsae International Referee refresher course held in Port Said, Egypt (2008) conducted by the WTF.
- Completed the 61st International Kyorugi Referee refresher course held in Naimey, Niger (2008) conducted by the WTF.
- Completed the 4th Poomsae International Referee refresher course held in Bangkok, Thailand (2008) conducted by the WTF.
- Completed the 7th Poomsae International Referee Seminar held in Lima, Peru (2007) conducted by the WTF.
- Completed the 51st International Referee Seminar held in Cairo, Egypt (2007) conducted by the WTF.
TEACHING & SEMINARS
2015 – Isle Of Man – Kup and Dan Gradings at Flying Phoenix School of Martial Arts.
2014– Isle Of Man – Kup and Dan Gradings.
2014 – Germany – DAN gradings
2014 – Elite Martial Arts Academy in Scotland.
2013 – Blackpool Sports Arena, Blackpool, England.
2012 – Strike Taekwondo.
2012 – Summer School - Kukkwion Headquarters in Korea.
2011 - Training Camp – AMRO TRUST – Fighting Drugs and Poverty in India.
2011 – Sanus Dojang Special Seminar in Versmold, Germany.
2009 to present - Teaching at local Nottingham venues: Sikh community center; Djanogly technical college; local schools such as Dagfa House, Hollygirt School for girls, Nottingham, Nottingham Trent, Derby, and Leicester Universities.
- 2009 – Kyorugi Referee seminar (UK); Isle of Man training seminars
- 2008 – Open Martial Arts seminar (UK)
- 2008 – Strike TKD, martial arts center (UK)
- 2008 – Ankara, Turkey; Morocco; Niger; USA, Thailand; India, Isle of Man
- 2007 – Cairo, Egypt; Isle of Man; India (Haryana)2006 – India (Ambala, Batala, Delhi, Ludhiana and Mumbai), Denmark
2006 - Demonstrating at the Budo Action at the 4th World Championships in Germany.
2005 - India
2004 – India
2003 - Demonstrating at the Budo Action at the 3rd World Championships in Germany
2000 - Demonstrating at the Budo Action at the 2nd World Championships in Germany
1998 – Demonstrating at the Budo Action at the 1st World Championships in Germany
1998 - South Africa; China; South Korea
1983 – present – Black Belt gradings twice a year (May and December)
1983 – Germany
1980 to 1982 - Military service, at East Midlands Officer Training Corps, in Nottingham teaching self defence, and unarmed combat to Officer Cadets within the unit.
1976 to 1980 – Trent Polytechnic Student Union Instructor in Nottingham as well as martial arts clubs in Nottinghamshire and across England.
- Nigerian Foreign Master’s training course 2016.
- Organising British (University) Students TKD fight camp 2010, 2009, 2008.
- 14th Foreign Instructors training course in Seoul, Korea in 2008
- 13th Foreign Instructors training course in Seoul, Korea in 2007
- 10th Foreign Instructors training course in Seoul, Korea in 2004
- 1st Foreign Instructors training course in Seoul, Korea in 1998
- Bodyguard and Self Protection Training courses completed (UK) over the last 20 years.
BROADCAST AND MEDIA EVENTS
- Travelling to India to promote health, fitness and a better lifestyle for under-privileged children through TKD training in rural India from 2005 to current.
- Front cover on the prestigious Taekwondo & Korean Martial Arts magazine – Aug 2010; Sept 2007.
- Writes articles submitted and published on a monthly basis to Combat and Taekwondo & Korean Martial Arts Magazine.
- Exposure in prestigious local, national, and international newspapers since 1983 including the Topper, Nottingham Evening Post, Eastern Eye, Isle of Man Courier, Daily Mail, Independent, Just 17 magazine, Nursing News, Sikh Times, Indian Tribunal (India), and TKD times (USA).
- Television interviews on national TV such as Pebble Mill and GMTV.
- Radio interviews on Radio Trent, Radio Nottingham, Karang radio (Birmingham), Radio Asia.
- Competed in Robin Hood Marathon since 1983.
- Performed demonstrations at Charity events to raise money for worthwhile causes.
- April 2013 – teamed up with Protrain 3D to set up and deliver professional content on mobile phone app to teach World Taekwondo Federation Syllabus.
- National and International Martial Arts Seminars for beginners and black belt holders.
- Demonstration Team
- Gradings (regular Kup; and DAN black belt certifications up to 7th DAN). Since 1983, 1000’s of students have been promoted to black belt. Gradings are provided twice a year in May and December at the Academy.
- Jump DAN promotion in TKD, Kung Fu and Thai-boxing.
- WTF Kukkiwon certifications to legitimize unlicensed and non-Kukkiwon certified TKD practitioners.
- Instructor rank qualifications.
- Opportunity to consult and work directly with Grand Master Vohra’s Branch Representatives located worldwide.
- Provide exposure in Martial arts magazines for up and coming martial artists.
- Provide specially designed programs involving control and restraint enforcement for close protection.
- Providing Mentoring and Instruction to groups in USA, India, Nigeria, Isle of Man, Scotland, England, Malawi.
(This CV is under continual development)
GrandMaster Vohra is available to provide advice for successful development within the martial arts to tailor to the specific needs of individual students, instructors and clubs both in the UK and abroad. If you require these services, please feel free to contact:
GrandMaster Vohra’s International School of Martial Arts
Nottingham School of Taekwondo
Ilkeston Road, Nottingham,
Mobile #: +44 753 684 5750
Tel #: +44 (0) 115 9780439
Fax #: +44 (0) 115 9785567